29 December 2008

Etc, etc, etc...

Okay, okay, listen closely because this really drives me up the wall.

“Ect” does not mean what you think it means.
Go on. Load up Dictionary.com and type in “ECT”.
For convenience, I’ll copypasta it here for you:

ECT
abbr. electroconvulsive therapy


So tell me, what exactly are you trying to say when you say things like “I went to the store and bought lettuce, crackers, ect.”?

The abbreviation you are looking for is ”etc.” Okay? E-T-C. Not “ect”. It’s an abbreviation, not a word, so that period there is important. I know it’s hard to pronounce on its own but honestly if you’re trying to pronounce just those three letters then you are doing it wrong.
It’s Latin, okay?! It’s short for “et cetera”, which means “and the rest”. You use it when you don’t feel like listing a billion things, so you just say a couple things and end the list with “etc.” Alright?
Can we stop saying “ect” now, please?

No comments: