15 December 2008

Couplets wut

Guys guys you are not fit to write poetry, all of you!

Ugh…
Fanfiction poetry is the worst, because people actually read that shit, but the same problems are in regular poetry too.
Let’s make this simple, okay?!
YOU ARE MISUSING THE AABB RHYME SCHEME.
Look, look, that rhyming scheme is called a Clerihew and it is for comedy. Okay? So when I see things like
I stand out in the rain
thinking about all this pain
why does this happen to me
I hang the noose on a tree”


I just sit there waiting for a punchline.

I know that it’s not always for comedy (Couplets, which are similar, were used by Chaucer after all…) but mostly it is. Especially the aa-bb-a scheme, which is for LIMERICKS, okay, get it right.
On another note, angsty poetry is annoying anyway. NO ONE WANTS TO READ IT. Get over yourself, learn that everyone has hormones, your parents are not evil for forbidding you from wearing black lipstick, and focus on much better topics.
Also, dammit, if you’re going to rhyme, you need to understand rhythm too. Oh, and flow. And what actually constitutes a rhyme anyway.
Fuck.
And yes, poetry doesn’t have to rhyme. No, that doesn’t mean you can write any bullshit and call it poetry.

It’s sad that I can find these mistakes since I’m not even a poetry person. Do I ever write poetry? Nope! How do I know this stuff and you so-called poets don’t? Jeez!
Maybe there needs to be a “no poetry until after puberty” rule.

Sheesh.

2 comments:

Stier said...

I already missed your updates =)

MrsSoersdal said...

I found your blog through my brother's blog and as a former English major I'm laughing my ASS off. Moar pls.