24 December 2008

Christmastime ranting, ho ho ho~

Look here, guys, this is called a fourth wall.
It’s invisible! To us, anyway. It’s the wall through which we are able to see into the characters’ world. The characters in a story, by contrast, can see the fourth wall, and therefore cannot see us as we watch them.
Can the fourth wall be broken or removed altogether? Yes. Should it be taken lightly? No.
Fourth-wall breaking is reserved for comedy. Characters in a serious drama probably should not acknowledge the reader unless they are a narrator, and even then they shouldn’t acknowledge the fact that they’re fictional, in a fanfic, what have you.
Also, it’s really not okay to go on for several chapters with no fourth-wall breaking, then suddenly break it only to say “This is what other fanfic writers do in their fics, but I’m doing this other thing because I’m different” or to say something about how you know what’s going to happen next but the reader doesn’t and you’re not telling, hee hee hee.
Seriously, SERIOUSLY?
Not only have you just reminded me that your story is a fanfic and therefore smashed my suspense of disbelief in a spectacular fashion, but you also proved to me that you have NO FAITH in me, the reader, to acknowledge that what you’ve just done is slightly original.
FUCK YOU.
Guys, don’t do this! God, I’m so pissed I am half-tempted to just post a link to the offending fic… ugh… but that’s petty. Just, please, guys, don’t do this.

No comments: